Saturday, December 01, 2007

Triathlon November 25

I competed in the first triathlon of the season on Sunday, November 25. I competed (well . . . I was there) in the Challenge race which consisted of a 600m swim, a 19.5km ride and a 4km run. The swim was good as they've bought new buoys, they're big, tringular, red and easy to see - so that really helped. I did the triathlon in 1 hour and 10 minutes and 46 seconds. I came 191 out of the 231 competitiors who took part in the challenge race and I was 19th out of the 22 40-44 year old age category. Not a spectacular result as the conditions were absolutely perfect and I had done the same distance in 1 hour 7 previoulsy. But I suppose it was an okay outcome for the first one of the season,

Also taking part were some members of the swimming squad who I train with Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at Norwood. They included Graham, Terry, Kay and Penny. Another of the swimming squad, Andrew, did his first triathon ever and completed it in 1 hour 3 minutes! Hmmm . . .

David took the photos below.

(There are more triathlon photos on my Flickr page. Clicking on any of these pictures will take you there. You can see photos in larger sizes there as well.)

Harvey Number 953
Number 953. Set to go.

Start of the Swim
Setting off in the swim. I don't have a wetsuit so I have to 'brave' the West Lake's sometimes cool waters. Most people seem to think that a wetsuit gives you a minute or two advantage in the water.

Harvey Finishing the Swim
Swim over, off to find the bike.

Harvey on the Bike
On the bike. I'd like to say I rode really fast . . .

Harvey Running
On the run . . . well jog . . .

Harvey Finishing
Crossing the finishing line.

Triathlon - Terry, Penny, Kay, Graham, Harvey
Terry, Penny, Kay, Graham, Harvey