Sunday, September 17, 2006

City to Bay Fun Run

Today I completed my first ever City to Bay Fun Run. It's a 12km event that starts in the city next to the Festival Centre and finishes at Colley Reserve in Glenelg on the coast. 24,000 people took part - by far the largest race I've ever been a part of.

I almost didn't end up as a starter.

About a month back I entered and received my number, sure that nothing would go wrong. Then David got a flu-like virus. 'Eeek', I thought. But is was three weeks from the race. I stayed well up until about two weeks ago, then I started to feel unwell too. I stopped all exercising. I had already completed four 12.5km runs and tried to think 'well thoughts'. It didn't work. I felt crap but I didn't get the fluey thing as bad as David.

And the night before the race we went out to a special dinner at our favourite restaurant, the Tin Cat Cafe in Kent Town. I didn't have any alcohol but it was a late night with a lot of food - about 20 courses, all canape-sized. Great food. But we didn't get home until midnight and I needed to get up at 6.30am to get to the 7.30am assembly. Of course, the food kept me awake. So, I think I ran it on five and a half hours sleep and with a very mild case of whatever that current virus is that's going around.

Next year I plan not to get sick prior to the event.

I don't know what time I completed the event in - but it should be about an hour and 10 minutes or less. All the times will be published in the local daily paper on Tuesday. I might even be able to download footage of me crossing the line too. I will keep you posted.

The pictures: Me before the start; the race begins; after escaping the finishing line chaos.